Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hike a bike

I watched this short film the other day on YouTube, where 2 guys rode up the highest peak in Germany on their mountain bikes making for most part their own route up. There was some single track involved but a lot of the ride turned into 'hike a bike' where the bikes went up on their backs and they had to trudge up some unridable tracks before reaching the snowy summit.

I went out this morning for a spin around Mulligans flat reserve. A ride I have done countless times but this time I decided to ad a bit of 'hike a bike' and trek up one of the highest hills in the area. Cruising down the main trail and then severely deviating to cross a deep creek with the bike on my shoulders and working my way up the steep rarely used hiking trail. Once I made the top I was greeted with a wonderful view on a lovely crisp winters morning. I then made up my own trail along the ridge line crossing some unforgiving terrain and down a different way than I came up, making it up as I went. To be honest I think I probably got lost a hand full of times, crossing many barbed wire unused fences and got bogged down in a swampy area before eventually finding my way back to the main trail. The unusual variation in this ride was great and to do it on such a glorious morning was even better.

Get bored riding the same trail? Find a hill and hike a bike!



No comments:

Post a Comment