Monday, July 30, 2012

Butterflies

The London Olympics have obviously started and the elusive quest for a gold medal has begun for all the athletes over there. I watched the Boomers play Brazil last night and its the first high level basketball game I have seen for quite some time. I really love the game of basketball and found myself immersed in every play, willing the aussie boys to make the next play and swearing at them with every missed opportunity.

I thought of all the hardships, all the trainings, meetings and fitness sessions you go through in a build up to a tournament situation, where all that work can be snuffed out in a heartbeat if your not on your 'A' game.

I have been lucky enough to be in many tournament situations in my career. From juniors, to State champs, to junior aussie teams, to being selected in a Boomers team for the Stankovich Cup in China. They all have that massive build up where you just want to play that first game to get the nerves out. When things are rolling your able to easily keep good form as you play every other day, unlike a normal season where there is a week between games. On the other hand if the team has a one bad game it could all be over.

The Boomers had a late comeback but ended up losing the game in a close one. They have Spain up next and will have to definately be on their 'A' games to win.

Watching them I got those nervous energy 'butterflies' of competition that I havent felt for a while.

It took me a while to get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment